The park consists of approximately 55 hectares of which 25 hectares have been reserved for open spaces.
The zoning of the properties in Technopark is Special Zone I as stipulated in APPENDIX 3 of the Stellenbosch Zoning Scheme Regulations. The zoning scheme defines a Technopark/science park as:
“An enterprise associated with research, development, design and related activities in the high-technology sector which is accommodated in a park-type work environment which is specifically created for the industrial needs of the enterprises concerned.”
The normal developments (permitted primary uses) allowed in this zoning are:
- Laboratories, offices and other facilities for research, development, design, testing and consultation by any individual, corporation, partnership, business association or any other type of organization, whether public or private.
- Production and assembly of prototype products but only on a scale necessary for the completion of research in connection with the product.
- Pilot plants, in which planned processes or products are investigated, tested and assembled with a view to production elsewhere.
- Professional and commercial services directly associated with and primarily geared towards activities referred to in paragraphs (1) to (3) above, for example banking facilities, personal services, post office, day-care centre, sports and health facilities, food services and training centres.
- Conference centres and administrative offices needed for the running of the Technopark.
- Incidental operations required for the maintenance of the facilities referred to in paragraphs (1) to (5) above, such as maintenance workshops, power plants and effluent treatment.
- Facilities for light manufacturing and/or the assembly of products that require a high level of skills in the high-technology sector result in regular liaison with the research and design personnel and require mainly highly skilled personnel.
- Special development can be allowed subject to submission of a formal application to the Council and these developments include any other usage which is incidental to the aforementioned character of the Technopark.